From the beginning of 2021, the BBCC will be having two separate annual photo competitions each year - a print competition and a digital competition.
The print competition will be held every two months beginning in February, then April, June, August and October. The number of print competition nights per year may change if there is a demand from members - for more or for less. The digital competition will be held every month except December (which is our Awards Night).
With the digital competition being held every month and the print competition held every two months, there will be five nights during the year when both prints and digital images will be displayed.
Print Competition Rules
- Print competition nights will be held every two months starting in February, then April, June, August and October.
- On print competition nights, printed photos submitted on the night are displayed on stands for judging.
- Any photo can be submitted to print competitions - they are totally open and have no "set subject" requirements.
- Members can submit a maximum of 3 images into the print competition.
- Images submitted to the digital competition can be printed and submitted in the print competition.
- Photos in the print competition can be colour or monochrome.
- At the meeting, photos are placed on stands for members to view during judging.
- Judging of print competitions will be done by members present on the night, unless a guest judge is present.
- Entries must be accompanied by an entry form.
- Name of photographer and title of photo are to be written on the back of the photo.
- If possible, also write ISO, F-stop and shutter speed on the back of the photo.
- Mounting of photos is encouraged but not mandatory.
- There are no size limits for photos but A4 is usual.
- Points will be awarded to each photo based on the point scoring system shown below.
- A photo which has received an award may not be entered into another print competition.
- A photo which has received no award on three occasions may not be entered into another print competition.
Point Scores and Awards
|Best of Section||3|
- Points for the print competition are accrued for all the print competitions during the year, with an Awards Night held at our December meeting.
- The "Print Photographer of the Year" goes to the member who accrues the most points, less their worst nightly score.
- The competition year starts in February and finishes in November.
Proposed Print Comp In-House Judging
- Everyone present on the night gives each image an award - No Award, Commended, Highly Commended, or Best.
- No Award = 0 points; Commended = 1 point; Highly Commended = 2 points and Best of Section = 3 points.
- Points are totalled for each image, divided by the number of judges, for the average points for the image.
- If the average is less than 0.5, the image gets "No Award";
- if the average is between 0.5 and 1.5, it gets a "Commended"
- if the average is over 1.5, it gets a "Highly Commended"
- the image with the highest average points gets "Best of Section".
Another way of looking at this is
- If more than than half the judges (on average) don't think the images deserves a "Commended" it gets "No Award".
- If more than half the judges (on average) give the image a "Commended" but less than a "Highly Commended", it gets a "Commended".
- If more than half the judges (on average) give the image a "Highly Commended" it gets a "Highly Commended".
- The image with the highest points gets "Best of Section".