From the beginning of 2021, the BBCC will be having two separate annual photo competitions each year - a print competition and a digital competition.
The digital competition will be held every month except December (which is our Awards Night). The print competition will be held every two months beginning in February, then April, June, August and October. The number of print competition nights per year may change if there is a demand from members - for more or for less.
With the digital competition being held every month and the print competition held every two months, there will be five nights during the year when both prints and digital images will be displayed.
Digital Competition Rules
- Digital competition nights will be held every month starting in February and ending in November.
- Digital images are judged remotely, so images must be submitted via email 9 days prior to the comp night (a Sunday night at midnight).
- The deadline for submission of digital images is shown on our Program page.
- Images in the digital competition can be colour or monochrome, unless monochrome is specified.
- Digital competitions will have two sections - Set Subject and Open.
- Set Subject topics will be decided by the committee up to one year in advance.
- Set Subject images must be taken within the past year - or within three years during the Covid pandemic.
- Open - the subject of the image can be anything at all without restriction.
- Open images must be taken within the past three years.
- Images must be in JPG format.
- Names of images must follow this naming convention - "photographer's name - section initials (o for Open, ss for Set Subject) - title of image.jpg" such as in the examples shown below ...
- Members can submit a maximum of 3 images with no more than 2 images per section.
- There are no size limits for digital images - the higher the resolution and the greater the number of pixels, the better.
- Images submitted to the print competition can be submitted in the digital competition.
- Images must be submitted prior to the meeting as specified in the program.
- At the meeting, images are projected, with the judge's comments and awards read out - unless the judge is present.
- Points will be awarded to each image based on the point scoring system shown below.
- An image which has received an award may not be entered into another digital competition.
- An image which has received no award on three occasions may not be entered into another digital competition.
- Each section will be judged separately, with images receiving "No Award", "Commended" or "Highly Commended".
- The image judged best of the "Highly Commended" award winners receives the "Best of Section" award.
- The Best of Section in the Set Subject section is the Image of the Month.
Point Scores and Awards
- To encourage club members to submit images in the Set Subject section, an additional point will be given to each image.
| ||Open||Set Subject|
|Best of Section||7||8|
- Points are accrued for all monthly digital competitions during the year, with an Awards Night held at our December meeting.
- "Photographer of the Year" goes to the member with the most points in the digital competitions during the year, less their two worst nightly scores.
- The competition year starts in February and finishes in November.
- Set Subject images must relate closely to and clearly reflect the Set Subject, with the judge the sole arbiter.
- Open images can be absolutely anything at all.
- Monochrome is black and grey and white; sepia; or tones of any single colour plus black and grey and white.
- Creative images have been substantially manipulated using various techniques with the resulting image differing significantly from the original subject matter.
- Creative, like Monochrome, will occasionally be a Set Subject (at the discretion of the committee).